Welcome to apply for The XII International Jean Sibelius Violin Competition in 2022!
These instructions are made especially for our competitors to help and advice in applying and preparing for the competition.
Below you can see the list of required information and assets exactly as they are in the application form. Please collect and prepare them in advance, so that you can fill in the form and upload your assets in one session.
After you have submitted the application form, you will be given access to mentoring videos by Ms. Päivi Arjas, lecturer of performance coaching at the Sibelius Academy of the University of the Arts Helsinki.
REGISTRATION AND APPLICATION PAGE
- name : forename and family name
- female/ male /other
- date of birth and city of birth
- a scan of the photo page of passport with certified birth-date clearly visible
- upload photo used for PR purposes
- postal address
- email address
- short list of studies: the most important schools and teachers, max. 3
- music competitions: year and prize
- languages spoken
VIDEO UPLOADS PAGE
Instructions: Please play as you would in a normal audition setting: face the camera so that your face and hands can be seen at all times. You are NOT allowed to edit the video, and each video must be shot with a single take. The date of recording must be included.
Preliminary audition round
The repertoire for the preliminary round must consist of the following works from the contestant's competition programme.
1. Bach: one movement from a Solo Sonata or Partita
2. Paganini: one Caprice or Ernst: 'Letzte Rose' variations or Ernst: ‘Erlkönig’ (Schubert)
3. Sibelius: 1st movement of Concerto in D minor, Op. 47
Due to the global impact of Covid-19, in the Preliminary audition round, videos without piano accompaniment are accepted, too.
VIDEO LINK #1
Bach: one movement from a Solo Sonata or Partita
VIDEO LINK #2
Paganini: one Caprice or Ernst: 'Letzte Rose' variations or Ernst: ‘Erlkönig’ (Schubert)
VIDEO LINK #3
Sibelius: 1st movement of Concerto in D minor, Op. 47
VIDEO LINK #4
A short video in English introducing yourself as a violinist preferably with captions (also in English). Please include a mention of when you first heard Sibelius’ music. Length of the video: approximately 30 seconds, max 1 minute. If you are accepted for the competition, this particular video clip can be used for publication purposes to introduce you to the audience.
- First Round
- Second Round
- How did you hear about XII International Jean Sibelius Violin Competition?
- Application Fee Payment: EUR 100, non-refundable
- All your videos must be downloaded on your personal video storing and sharing service, such as YouTube, Vimeo or Dropbox which allows you to upload your video and share the link to it. Video can be downloaded using private mode as long as working link is provided. The link must be functional throughout the competition and the link can not be changed later. You will copypaste the link of your data in question to this application form.
- Please name all your links with your own name, name of the music piece and date of recording
- Please play as you would in a normal audition setting: face the camera, so that your face and hands can be seen at all times. You are NOT allowed to edit the video, and each video must be shot with a single take, sound and picture simultaneously.